Think Green This Holiday Season!
Statistics show that during the holidays, household waste increases by 25%. From food waste to packaging, Americans generate an additional 1 million tons of garbage a week!
To help you reduce the amount of waste you generate this holiday season, we have the following recycling and waste reduction tips for you:
- Plan your shopping trips in a way to reduce the amount of traveling you do and try to avoid driving during commute times.
- Shopping in your hometown can help save gas, time and energy. (If every family reduced gasoline consumption by one gallon (about 20 miles), we could reduce greenhouse gas emissions by one million tons!).
- Consolidate your purchases into one bag, rather than getting a new bag at each store. Better yet, bring your own reusable tote bags when shopping!
- Reuse gift bags and gift boxes. They can be flattened for easy storage and reusing them will save you money too.
- Try sending an electronic Holiday Card this year instead of a paper card. It saves money and conserves valuable resources.
- Be sure to recycle your wrapping paper this year! If your recycling containers are full, place extra paper in paper bags and set next to your recycling container on your recycling service day.
- Save a tree this season by using an artificial tree or purchasing a living tree. Living trees can be planted after the holiday and enjoyed throughout the year.
- Drop-off unwanted packing peanuts at a local mailing center. The UPS Store is one option. You can also call the Plastics Council Peanut Hotline at 1-800-828-2214 for a list of businesses that will reuse them.
- If you receive a new appliance this Holiday, think about donating your old one, or posting it on Craigslist or Freecycle's website. These sites provide an easy way to reuse items within our community!
No waste gift giving ideas:
- Gift Certificates, Movie, Theatre or Concert Tickets
- Home baked goodies, made from your favorite family recipes!
- Ski Lift Tickets
- Amusement Park Tickets
- Magazine Subscriptions (a gift that gives all year long!)
- Reusable Grocery/Tote Bags
For more holiday recycling and waste reduction tips, visit the CIWMB website at http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/publiced/holidays